Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Toxic seaweed blamed for couple's hotel death?

Mystery surrounds the death of two British tourists in Chiang Mai whom authorities in Thailand are claiming died after eating poisonous seaweed.

George and Eileen Everitt from Boston, Lincolnshire, died  barely 3 months after New Zealander Sarah Carter also died in the hotel on February 6th 2011 and a Thai tour guide was found dead there on February 3rd 2011.

A  report from the local police say those guests also died from eating the seaweed, which they say was bought from a local night market.

However, relations and medical experts have disputed these findings with Carter’s father, Richard Carter told the Independent newspaper that he found the investigation “narrow minded” whilst David Mabey, professor of communicable diseases at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said the Thai authorities’ conclusion that all the deaths were a coincidence was “remarkable”.

Sarah Carter died following a swelling of the heart after becoming ill from food poisoning. The Everitts died after both suffering heart attacks in their hotel room – also thought to be the conclusion to a swelling of the heart.The New Zealand Herald reports son Stephen Everitt as saying: “They were active and healthy for their age and it has come as a total shock. And now they want me to believe they had heart attacks at the same time. It doesn't make sense."

Thai authorities have now asked the World Health Organisation to aid an investigation into the deaths.

Story courtesy of Travelmole Newswire UK

No comments:

Post a Comment